If you need further support please contact
YP Face IT, Centre for Appearance Research, UWE, Frenchay, School of Life Sciences, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QY
Tel: 0117 328 3967
Changing Faces: 33-37 University Street, London, WC1E 6JN.
Tel: 0845 4500 275
Changing Faces is a UK charity that supports and represents people who have disfigurements of the face or body from any cause.
Other Sources of Help
- Achondroplasia UK, Tel: 01761 471 257 Website: www.achondroplasia.co.uk. Provides support and information for people with short limb dwarfism and their families and carers.
- Acne Support Group, Tel: 020 8841 4747 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00), Offers support, advice and information to those affected by acne or rosacea.
- Albinism Fellowship UK & Ireland, Tel: 01282 771900, website http://www.albinism.org.uk/index.php. A positive and sociable volunteer-run organisation that aims to provide information, advice and support for people with albinism and their families.
- Alopecia UK, Tel: 020 8333 1661, website: www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/index.asp. Alopecia UK provides information, advice and support for people with alopecia.
- Anti-bullying Network: website www.antibullying.net/youngpeople.htm. Provides advice for young people who are being bullied.
- Arthritis Care, Helpline: 0808 800 4050, Website: www.arthritiscare.org.uk. Provides support and information for people with all forms of arthritis.
- Breast Cancer Care, Helpline: 0808 800 6000, Website: www.breastcancercare.org.uk. Support, information, and advice to those with or recovering from breast cancer.
- British Allergy Foundation, Helpline: 020 8303 8583 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00), Website: http://www.allergyuk.org. Patient information service for people with all types of allergies including skin allergies.
- British Association of Dermatologists, Tel: 020 7383 0266, Website: www.bad.org.uk. Fact sheets on general dermatological conditions
- British Association of Skin Camouflage, Tel: 01226 790744, Website: www.skin-camouflage.net
- British Skin Foundation, Tel: 020 7391 6341, Website: www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk. The British Skin Foundation is the UK's only charity dedicated to skin research. They raise money to fund research for cures for skin disease and skin cancer.
- British Red Cross Skin Camouflage Service, Tel: 020 7235 5454, Website: www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Social-support-in-the-UK/Skin-camouflage
- Cavernoma Alliance UK, Tel: 01305 213876, Website: www.cavernoma.org.uk/home.html A UK charity aiming to improve the quality of life for those affected by cavernomas through education, support, and promotion of research.
- Children’s Burns Trust, Tel: 020 7233 8333, Website: www.cbtrust.org.uk works to raise awareness of burns and scalds, fund rehabilitation, and provides support to children with burns injuries and their parents
- Child Line Tel: 0800 1111, Website: www.childline.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx offers support and advice on a whole range of issues that children and young people face.
- CLIC Sargent Tel:0800 1970068, Website: www.clicsargent.org.uk/home support for children and young people with cancer.
- CLAPA, Cleft Lip and Palate Association, Website: www.clapa.com/ support for those born with a cleft lip and palate. The site answers commonly asked questions and provides information on the services and advice offered by CLAPA.
- Debra, Helpline: 01344 771961 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00), Website: www.debra.org.uk. Helps people with epidermolysis bullosa and researches cures.
- Drugs and alcohol issues: Frank Website www.talktofrank.com. Health Talk Website www.healthtalk.org.
- Facial Palsy UK, Tel: 0300 030 933, Website: www.facialpalsy.org.uk. Supporting people living with facial paralysis/palsy and their families.
- Goldenhar UK, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.goldenhar.org.uk. Provides help and support to families affected by Goldenhar Syndrome. Hemifacial Microsomia and Microtia.
- Headlines Craniofacial Support, Tel: 01454 850557, Website: www.headlines.org.uk. Supporting children with a craniofacial condition and their families. Includes Apert, Pfeiffer’s and Crouzon syndrome and Craniosynotosis.
- Ichthyosis Support Group, Tel: 01635 253829 (Mon-Fri 13.00-20.00), Tel: 0207461 0356 (Mon-Fri 20.00-22.00), Website: www.ichthyosis.co.uk. Promotes the welfare of children and adults affected by ichthyosis.
- Let's Face it, Tel: 01843 833724, Website: www.lets-face-it.org.uk. Information, advice and support for people with facial differences and their families
- Limbless Association, Helpline: 0845 2300025, Website: www.limbless-association.org. Provides information, advice and support for those with amputations. Also provides access to local user groups.
- Lupus UK, Helpline: 01708 731251 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00), Website: www.lupusuk.org.uk. Advice, help and support to people affected by lupus, including condition discoid lupus.
- Macmillan cancer support. Tel: 0808 808 00 00, Website: www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx. Information, support and advice for people with cancer or recovering from cancer.
- Microtia UK, Website http://www.microtiauk.org. Supports children, families and adults affected by Microtia (a rare condition affecting the development of the ear resulting in hearing loss). They also have a support group called Microtia Mingle.
- Moebius and I Support Group , Tel: 07534 155754, Website: www.moebiusandi.co.uk/index.html. Set up to support families and adults with Moebius Syndrome and other related conditions.
- National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society, Tel: 01435 873527, Website: www.nass.co.uk. Provides information and advice to those with AS. Also offers a forum for patients.
- National Eczema Society, Helpline: 0870 271 3604 (Mon-Fri 13.00-16.00), Website: www.eczema.org, www.skincarecampaign.org. Support and advice to people with eczema.
- The Neuro Foundation, Website: www.nbt.nhs.uk. Supports, advises and helps people affected by neurofibromatosis.
- Outlook. Tel: 0117 3403889. Website: www.nbt.nhs.uk/outlook. Outlook is a specialist service for people with appearance concerns living in the South West of England. If you live in the South West your GP or any other health professional can refer you to this service.
- Psoriasis Association, Helpline: 01604 711129 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00), Website: www.psoriasis-association.org.uk. Advice, help and support to people suffering from psoriasis.
- Psoriasis Forum, Website: www.psoriasis-help.org.uk. Interactive forum offering support groups to people suffering from psoriasis.
- Raynaud's and Scleroderma Association. Tel: 01270 872776 or 0800 9172494, Website: www.raynauds.org.uk. Information and support to people affected by Raynaud's and scleroderma.
- Scleroderma Society, Tel: 0800 311 2756, Website: www.sclerodermasociety.co.uk. Support for people with scleroderma.
- Scoliosis Association, Tel: 020 8964 5343, Website: www.sauk.org.uk. Aims to provide advice, support and information to people with scoliosis and other spinal conditions, including kyphosis and lordosis.
- Self-harm support: Young Minds Website:www.youngminds.org.uk.
- TAG, The Arthrogryposis Group, Tel: 0800 028 4447 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm), Website: www.tagonline.org.uk. Offers support and advice to those with arthrogryposis.
- Teenage Cancer Trust, Website: http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/ A charity devoted to improving the lives of teenagers and young adults with cancer.
- The Bells Palsy Association, Website: www.bellspalsy.org.uk. Offers information, support and advice, as well as a support group for those with Bell's palsy and other related conditions.
- The Birthmark Support Group, Tel: 0845 045 4700, Email: email@example.com, Website: www.birthmarksupportgroup.org.uk. Support group for people with birthmarks.
- The Katie Piper Foundation. Website: www.katiepiperfoundation.org.uk Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Helps people to learn to overcome the psychological barriers of living with disfigurement and concentrate on rebuilding their lives.
- The TED Charitable Trust, Tel: 0844 800 8133, Website: www.tedct.co.uk. Provides information, care and support to people with thyroid eye disease and offers a network of support groups.
- The Treacher-Collins Family Support Group, Tel: 01603 433736, Website: http://www.treachercollins.net/index.html.
- UK Pectus Excavatum and Pectus Carinatum Information Site, Website: www.pectus.org.
- Vitiligo Society, Helpline: 0800 0182631, From a Mobile: 02077986051 (Mon-Fri 10-00-17.00), Website: www.vitiligosociety.org.uk. Information, help and support for people with vitiligo
- Worldwide Lichen Sclerosus Society. Helpline: 07765 947599 (4pm - 6pm Monday to Friday). Website: www.lichensclerosus.org. Information and support about lichen sclerosis.
- XP Support Group, Helpline: 01494 890981 (Mon-Fri 09.00-21.00), Website: www.xpsupportgroup.org.uk. Support, help and information to those affected by xeroderma pigmentosum and other photosensitive conditions.